Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nightingale Review

I appreciated the nightingale and the rose for a variety of reasons.

First of all, I like the way that Wilde presents the situation; by using an omniscient narrator, he lets you see what all the characters say without having to have the narrator "present". Another aspect that I appreciated greatly was the simple yet plentiful language that Wilde mastered so uniquely.

By applying these images and simple dialogues, he conveys what everyone is feeling with an exactitude that no one else can equal. Furthermore, he personifies all the trees, butterflies, birds and other objects or animals that shouldn't be able to speak, which gives an entire new side to this “fairy tale” like story, without which it would be sorely lacking.

Another one of my opinions is that Oscar Wilde is trying to make the reader understand that you shouldn't judge what people say too quickly, and an action is sometimes worth a thousand words. Subsequently, I found that the nightingale was a romantic; she believed in love and she trusted that the student was truly in love. Solely for this reason she gave her life, dying so that he could live a life of love; but it was all in vain. Another fact that I think the author is aiming to convey to the reader, is that you shouldn't judge people by their appearance, or how they appear at first glance. I find that the part of the story in which the student judges the nightingale by her song and says that she is careless is a particularly good example of what I previously stated.

All in all, I think that this short story is one that should be read, and is a nice light read.

Symbols
Girl--------» Materialism
Oak tree---» Wisdom
Student----» Naïveté
Nightingale-» Devotion, Goodness
Rose--------»(Unrequited) love

1 comment:

  1. I like you texte but as the teacher said said you have a few run on sentences at the begining of you text

    ReplyDelete