Monday, October 5, 2009

When I was one-and-twenty

When I was one-and-twenty

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard a wise man say,
'Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free.'
But I was one-and-twenty,
No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard him say again,
'The heart out of the bosom
Was never given in vain;
'Tis paid with sighs a plenty
And sold for endless rue.'
And I am two-and-twenty,
And oh, 'tis true, 'tis true.


Poetry analysis

1. What is the genre, or form of the poem?

2. Who is speaking in the poem?
The young man.

3. What is the argument, thesis, or subject of the poem
You always get hurt when you give your heart.

4. What is the structure of the poem?
Two stanzas, both octets. It's rhyme scheme is as follows: abab,cdcd.

5. How does the poem make use of setting?
It uses a language level that demonstrates the social standing and ethnicity of the narrator.

6. How does the poem use imagery?
It uses metaphors and similes.

7. Are there key statements or conflicts in the poem that appear to be central to its meaning?
The difference in age and the advice that the older man gives him.

8. How does the sound of the poetry contribute to its meaning?
?
9. Examine the use of language.
It demonstrates what class he is from.

10. Can you see any ways in which the poem refers to, uses or relies on previous writing?
No.

11. What qualities does the poem evoke in the reader?
Trust and love,Sympathy.

12. What is your historical and cultural distance from the poem?
England / Canada, 1896 / 2009

13. What is the world-view and the ideology of the poem?
Love is precious and your heart should not be given lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment